“I pledge to raise awareness about childhood food insecurity in the U.S. by participating in Wake Up Call USA’s Skip Your Lunch Day on Sept. 18, 2012. I’m supporting this cause by donating all or portions of my lunch money to the Food Bank here: bit.ly/wakeupcallusa “
Let’s support the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, and get Nutritious Food to Local Kids! We are hoping that this spreads like WILDFIRE across the U.S. and that other young people take up the cause and possibly organize it in their OWN CITY!
Have you heard of One Young World an international global youth summit in Pittsburgh this October. Have you heard of Wake Up Call? Wake Up Call is an international awareness and action movement led by past summit attendees in numerous countries. This year’s topic for Wake Up Call USA is childhood food insecurity (lack of access to nutritious foods) and Pittsburgh is the model city for the Skip Your Lunch, Feed a Child campaign, so we are working to raise money for the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank to support children in the Pittsburgh area.
Skip Your Lunch, Feed a Child day on Sept. 18, on which we are asking Pittsburghers to donate their lunch money to the food bank. There will be organized food bank street teams on hand with cool displays in Market Square and in Oakland, to help people recognize how childhood food insecurity is rampant right here at home, and how it impacts children’s health, performance and social development.
DID YOU KNOW?
- In 1 month food prices increased by 10% due to drought
- .8 million Americans including 16.2 million children lack the means to get enough nutritious food on a regular basis.
- 10.5 million children are eligible for a free/reduced priced school breakfast and do not receive it.
- In Pennsylvania alone, 588,370 children experience a form of food insecurity and malnutrition.
- The Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank serves approximately 120,000 people each month. 1/3 of them, or approximately 40,000, are children. 43% of people who are technically “food insecure” do not qualify for government food and nutrition assistance.
Stay tuned for more details on how YOU can get involved. In the mean time, want to learn more, visit WAKEUPCALL Facebook Page, or connect with them on TWITTER. Ready to Donate? Check out this website to get involved.